Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Unexpected holiday cheer

It all started about ten years ago when my father put up simple icicle lights around the house and cute little candy canes out in the yard. Since then, he’s upgraded to waving blow-up snowmen, a softly lit Nativity scene, chasing icicle lights and has adorned the tree with glowing ornaments. Last year, he even found a hilarious set featuring a cowboy on a horse who is trying to rope a Christmas tree.

When I rounded the corner of my parents’ street to have Thanksgiving dinner with them, I almost expected my father to be climbing ladders and hanging odds and ends on our house and finishing up the final touches to our yearly Christmas carnival.

Instead, the Master of Lights had a special holiday surprise for me. He had gotten a tiny tree, complete with ornaments and lights, for me to take home to my equally tiny apartment in South Austin. Through all the years I have been away, I had never thought to decorate my apartment. Now with my little tree, my home feels so much more festive and I can’t wait for Christmas to come.

No comments: